Sunday 27 October 2019

Stepping into the Wallace Collection




The Wallace Collection is one of those galleries I have been meaning to visit for years - it took a display of exquisite shoes to get me there.  It was only by chance that I learned of the 'An Enquiring Mind: Manolo Blahnik at the Wallace Collection' display in its last week so I caught it on its penultimate day.



Blahnik has apparently used the collection to inspire his work - and now his shoes were displayed as art themselves.  



It seemed particularly fitting to have a display of pink shoes alongside Jean-Honore Fragonard's 'The Swing' (1768) - the girl in the painting having thrown her own pink slipper into the air.


And a particular favourite was this 'strawberry' shoe.


Though this delightful exhibition has now finished - I will definitely return to the Wallace Collection to view its masterpieces on display.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment